Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Turn: DIY Monogram Burlap Wreath

Good morning, and Happy First Day of July!

I don't know about you, but I can't believe how quickly June went by... although I am looking forward to some more consistent sunny weather here in the beautiful Northwest (June is always a toss-up... will you wake up to heavy rain and 60 degrees, or sunny and 80 degrees? You just never know!). 

Our biggest to-do for our new home is our backyard, but it's such a big, intimidating task that my husband and I keep finding other, smaller projects to tackle instead. One of my personal goals is to use up our leftover wedding decor as much as possible when decorating our home.

So, I present to you (drumroll, please)... burlap wreaths!


But, something was missing... it still seemed incomplete to me.

As popular as chevron prints have been, I haven't done ANYTHING with chevron - so I decided that I'd spruce up the W with some paint. I figure, if I didn't end up liking the chevron pattern, I could just paint in the rest and have a solid colored W.

I apologize that I didn't take any pictures of assembling the burlap onto the wire wreath - I promise I'll do it for my next one, for those of you who are interested in how I arranged the fabric.

I initially didn't have any glue to attach my "hooks" (paperclips) to the back of the W, so I used duct tape. (Disclaimer: the tape holds up well in cooler weather, but when the direct sunlight hits the wreath hanging on the door on a hot day, the W ends up falling off. I'll try some hot glue and let you know if that holds up better.)


Next, I cut down the stems of some fake flowers and stuck them into the burlap (I find that if I weave the stems through a few of the burlap loops, and bend the stem a bit so it's not stick-straight, it stays in place pretty well).

Finally, it was chevron time. I didn't have any blue painter's tape handy, so I used some regular masking tape and created 90 degree angles when attaching the roughly 3 inch long pieces together. I tried my best to really push down along the edges of the tape to try to prevent paint from leaking underneath it.

Next, I applied some white acrylic paint with a sponge brush all over the W. After waiting about 10 minutes for the first coat to try, I then applied a second coat.

My favorite part was next - the big reveal! I carefully removed the tape and was pretty happy with what I saw, with the exception of a couple blurred areas where the paint got under the tape.

The last step: bending the paperclips to create little hooks, then placing the W onto the wreath. Voila!

For me, the most time-consuming part of this project is getting the burlap onto the wire wreath, but even then, that only takes about 30 minutes (again, sorry I didn't take any pictures of that process - next time!). I chose not to glue down any of the decor on the wreath so that I can easily remove the items and change it out with new stuff whenever I want.

I love this way this turned out, even with it's imperfections. 

What crafts are on your to-do list this month?

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment